Webby for Good is a collaborative program formed by The Webby Awards and WP Engine to showcase Webby-recognized projects built to change the world.
Bacardi partnered with US band, Major Lazer, to give back to the Caribbean music culture that inspires their sound. Every time someone played Major Lazer’s new track on Spotify, it generated studio time for aspiring Caribbean artists. We then gave these artists and songs global exposure by featuring them on an album and Spotify playlist that was promoted by Bacardi and Major Lazer.
In the last few years, Caribbean music styles have been increasingly appropriated by famous mainstream popstars, like Drake and Justin Bieber. Meanwhile, authentic Caribbean artists don’t get the recognition or resources they deserve. Few have access to recording studios or the PR to get them exposure, so their music never makes it out of the islands. With strong Caribbean roots, Bacardi wanted to support authentic Caribbean music and get aspiring young artists heard by a whole new, global audience.
We knew it would be challenging reaching out to Caribbean artists to participate in the project, because most of them have no online footprint and no managers or agents. Combined with limited Internet access on the islands, just making contact proved difficult initially. Fortunately, once we’d spoken to a couple of artists, word got around the local island music scenes and in the end, we were overwhelmed by the quality of talent we found.
The most rewarding aspect of the project was hearing the artist’s song come to life on record, and introducing it to a new global audience. It was amazing to hear that one of the artists, Dynamite from St Vincent, had signed a record deal. We’ve since heard his track getting radio airplay in the US and the UK. If we’ve learned anything, it’s that there’s more exciting new music in the Caribbean than we could ever have expected.
See More Webby for Good Projects
- Chief Creative Officer David Lubars BBDO Worldwide
- Chief Creative Officer Greg Hahn BBDO New York
- Executive Creative Director Danilo Boer BBDO New York
- Executive Creative Director Marcos Kotlhar BBDO New York
- Associate Creative Director/Art Director Marcus Johnston BBDO New York
- Associate Creative Director/Copywriter Jim Connolly BBDO New York
- Design Director Dennis Payongayong BBDO New York
- Senior Designer Genelle Salazar BBDO New York
- Designer Amy Cruz BBDO New York
- Designer Brandon Galosi BBDO New York
- Executive Producer Kristin Tomborello BBDO New York
- Producer Andrew Osborne BBDO New York
- Group Planning Director Heather Lefevre BBDO New York
- Behavioral Planning Director Deyvis Rodriguez BBDO New York
- Communications Planning Director Patrick Tomasiewicz BBDO New York
- Communications Planner Bryant Lim BBDO New York
- Account Team Member Steven Panarielo BBDO New York
- Account Team Member Joshua Goodman BBDO New York
- Account Team Member Meghan Wood BBDO New York
- Account Team Member Rachel Passman BBDO New York
- Senior Project Manager Noreen Masih BBDO New York
- Artist Management Danielle Lukacs BBDO New York
- Artist Management Shayne Alexander BBDO New York
- Production Company Phantoscopic Ltd.
- Director Iain Forsyth Phantoscopic Ltd.
- Director Jane Pollard Phantoscopic Ltd.
- Director of Photography Benjamin Magahy Phantoscopic Ltd.
- Executive Producer Liz Hart Phantoscopic Ltd.
- Editor Nathan Perry-Green Phantoscopic Ltd.
- Editor Olly Stothert Phantoscopic Ltd.
- Line Producer Noelle Nimrichter Phantoscopic Ltd.
- Editorial Company EG+ Worldwide/ BBDO Studios/ The Mill
- Editor Brad Go EG+ Worldwide/ BBDO Studios/ The Mill
- Editor Alex Lubars EG+ Worldwide/ BBDO Studios/ The Mill
- Editor Jeff Reagan EG+ Worldwide/ BBDO Studios/ The Mill
- Senior Post Producer Heath Schoengold EG+ Worldwide/ BBDO Studios/ The Mill
- BBDO Studios Lead EG+ Michael Gentile EG+ Worldwide/ BBDO Studios/ The Mill
- Producer Cameron Gray EG+ Worldwide/ BBDO Studios/ The Mill
- Producer Evan Bauer EG+ Worldwide/ BBDO Studios/ The Mill
- Music & Sound Marmoset
- "Front of the Line" Major Lazer Marmoset
- "Front of the Line" Machel Montano Marmoset
- Audio Corey Bauman Marmoset
- VFX Company Dirty Looks
- Colorist Damien Van Der Cruyssen Dirty Looks
- Producer Tom Balkwill Dirty Looks
- Telecine Vanessa Taylor Dirty Looks
About the Best Use of Online Media category
Best, most innovative, and effective or creative use of a website or associated online tools—applications, games, microsites, online ads, social media, wallpaper, icons, etc.—in a media/marketing strategy.