The Webby for Good, produced in partnership with WP Engine, is a showcase of Webby-honored projects and campaigns that are promoting social good in the world.
Blame is a huge deterrent for rape victims in reporting their assault. The trauma of being raped coupled with the humiliation and guilt that comes with blame perpetuates victims’ silence, allowing rapists to continue committing crimes. This spot aims to illustrate the burden victims of rape carry with them for the rest of their lives, and how when they are blamed for it, it makes their burden even harder to bear.
Being sensitive and thoughtful in everything we did. It’s easy to get lost in a project when you work on it for a long time, but it was important that we remained sensitive in our presentation and handling of the subject matter. It was important to get our message across while still being respectful to the experience of victims of rape.
The most rewarding part of this project were the reactions from victims, who told us that the spot spoke to them and was true to their experience. Many were prompted to share heartbreaking stories of the blame they received, which reaffirmed to us the importance of this kind of work.
Every year to mark the International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against Women, YWCA Canada releases a campaign to raise awareness for a specific aspect of either domestic violence or sexual violence against women. This year, they asked us to create a campaign focused on victim blaming of rape victims.
This project made us step back and re-examine our own views on victim blaming. Humans have evolved to find the pattern in every situation – it’s in our nature to try and find the cause for every occurrence. Working on this project made it clear to every person involved that the person at fault for rape is always the one committing it, without question.
- Chief Creative Officer Terry Drummond JPTBWA
- Chief Creative Officer Alan Madill JPTBWA
- Chief Creative Officer Barry Quinn JPTBWA
- Copywriter Carolyn Crystal JPTBWA
- Art Director Ariel Gagnon JPTBWA
- Broadcast Producer Wendi Hamilton JPTBWA
- Broadcast Producer Anne Marie Martignago JPTBWA
- Managing Director David Toto JPTBWA
- Account Executive Lisa Harvey JPTBWA
- Director Thibaut Diverniex Revolver
- Director of Photography Vinit Borrison Revolver
- Executive Producer Luc Frappier Revolver
- Lead Compositor James Andrews Wingman
- Executive Producer Sam Simpson Wingman
- Editor Jackie Roda Married To Giants
- Music Director Chris Tait Pirate
- Production House Revolver
- Post Production Company Wingman
- Editing/ Post House Married To Giants
- Audio House Pirate
About the Public Service & Activism category
Original online content documenting public service issues, activism and societal concerns. Individual episodes or entire series may be entered. Public Service & Activism series or channels should be entered in Video Channels & Networks.