Webby for Good is a collaborative program formed by The Webby Awards and WP Engine to showcase Webby-recognized projects built to change the world.
News reports are the most common way by which people hear about gun violence. So, to deliver Sandy Hook Promise’s message about learning the warning signs of a prospective shooting, we created a news report about a shooting that hadn’t happened yet—thereby stressing its preventability.
The December 2017 release of our web film coincided with the fifth anniversary of the Sandy Hook shooting, during which 26 students and teachers were killed. (Note: Sadly, the Parkland, Florida, shooting occurred two months after our film’s release.)
In order for “Tomorrow’s News” to be effective, it was imperative for the piece to feel as real as possible—and not accidentally slip into a parody of local newscasts. Therefore, beforehand we studied real news reports from actual tragedies. Specifically, this meant that the look of the film, the graphics used, and especially the actors’ performances, all had to feel believable and authentic.
A particularly rewarding aspect of this project was the fact that our “film about news” was covered like real news—ultimately earning over a billion impressions and shared in over 146 countries. But, most importantly, we are humbled to continue working with the brave parents of Sandy Hook Promise in their mission to turn their personal tragedy into action that will save lives.
See More Webby for Good Projects
- Chief Creative Officer David Lubars BBDO Worldwide
- Chief Creative Officer Greg Hahn BBDO New York
- Creative Director Peter Alsante BBDO New York
- Associate Creative Director/Art Director Bianca Guimaraes BBDO New York
- Copywriter Tom Kraemer BBDO New York
- Head of Production David Rolfe BBDO New York
- Group Executive Producer Julian Katz BBDO New York
- Junior Producer Molly Ross BBDO New York
- Senior Planner Ben Bass BBDO New York
- Junior Communications Planner Michael Schonfeld BBDO New York
- Account Team Member Lindsey Cash BBDO New York
- Account Team Member Cailin Gibbons BBDO New York
- Influencer Manager Lucy Bennett BBDO New York
- Production Company Smuggler
- Director Henry-Alex Rubin Smuggler
- Director of Photography Nathan Wilson Smuggler
- Executive Producer Patrick Milling Smith Smuggler
- Executive Producer Brian Carmody Smuggler
- Executive Producer Drew Santasiero Smuggler
- Line Producer Cat Restepo Smuggler
- Chief Operating Officer Andrew Colon Smuggler
- Editorial Company Work Editorial
- Editor Ben Jordan Work Editorial
- Assistant Editor Winter Brihn Work Editorial
- Executive Producer Erica Thompson Work Editorial
- Producer Chris Delarenal Work Editorial
- Music & Sound
- Mix Artist Eric Warzecha
- Audio Production House Heard City
- Producer Andrea Lewis Heard City
- Post-Production Company 3
- Telecine Tim Masik Company 3
- Conform Company Blacksmith VFX
About the Public Service & Activism (Branded) category
Video content created on behalf of a group or organization to support or promote a particular societal cause or issue.