Over the past two years, the gaming industry has witnessed a massive uptick in users, who have an appetite for everything from online, multiplayer games to e-sports, to immersive games. In a saturated industry, the best game creators are those who are crafting high-quality experiences with great storytelling.
Take a look at the companies featured in our 3rd Annual Webby Games Industry Index. Our index showcases the game creators and distributors with the most Webby-recognized projects across all categories in the 25th Annual Webby Awards (2021). In addition, we’ve highlighted a few pieces of work by each of the featured companies.
HOW IT WORKS: To start, we analyzed which industries over indexed in the 25th Annual Webby Awards. We then ranked which companies produced the highest-performing projects. *Companies are listed with the highest-performing projects top to bottom. Webby Wins are weighed more heavily in calculations.*
The 2021 Games Industry Index
BY THE NUMBERS
- Naughty Dog swept most of the Games categories in the 25th Annual Webby Awards for The Last of Us Part II, which earned honors in Adventure, Best Game Design, Best Music/Sound Design, Best User Experience and Technical Achievement.
- Annapurna Interactive made the index for the second consecutive year, with large recognition for Kentucky Route Zero.
BEHIND THE RANKS
1. Naughty Dog
Naughty Dog is one of the most successful and prolific game development studios in the world, and a flagship first-party studio within PlaySation Studios. They have created iconic games like Crash Bandicoot and the Jak and Daxter series. Their breakout game swept many of our Games categories, including craft categories. View the work below.
- The Last Part of Us II – 2021 Winner & People’s Voice Winner, Adventure, Winner & People’s Voice Winner, Best User Experience, Winner & People’s Voice Winner, Technical Achievement, People’s Voice Winner Best Game Design, and Best Music/Sound Design
2. Annapurna Interactive
Established in 2016, Annapurna Interactive works with game creators from around the world, helping them create and release personal experiences for everyone. Their honored work reflects their focus on producing well designed and beautiful games. View the work below.
- Kentucky Route Zero: TV Edition – 2021 Winner, Best Game Design, Nominee, Best Music/Sound Design and Best Art Direction
- I Am Dead, 2021 Winner, Puzzle and Trivia, Nominee, Best Art Direction
- The Pathless – 2021 Nominee Adventure, Best Music/Sound Design, Technical Achievement, Honoree, Best Art Direction
- If Found… – 2021 Honoree, Best User Experience
3. Sony Interactive Entertainment
Recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment, Sony Interactive Entertainment is responsible for the PlayStation® brand and family of products and services. Sony’s honors reflect their place as a staple in the gaming industry for best-in-class products and game content. View the work below.
- Ghost of Tsushima – 2021 Winner, Best Art Direction and Best Music/Sound Design, Nominee, Best Game Design
- PlayStation App – 2021 Nominee, Integrated Mobile Experience
- Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales – 2021 Honoree, Best Music/Sound Design
4. CCP Games | thatgamecompany | Bart Bonte (Three-Way Tie)
CCP was founded in 1997 in Reykjavik, Iceland. With the launch of EVE Online in May 2003, CCP established itself as one of the most innovative companies in interactive entertainment.
thatgamecompany is a game studio dedicated to creating timeless interactive entertainment that inspires human connection worldwide.
Bart Bonte is an independent game developer from Belgium. He is the only independent creator to make the Industry Index.
- Sky: Children of the Light by thatgamecompany – 2021 People’s Voice Winner, Best Art Direction
- EVE Online – Project Discovery by CCP Games – 2021 People’s Voice Winner, Public Service, Activism, and Social Impact
- green (game) by Bart Bonte – 2021 People’s Voice Winner, Puzzle and Trivia
To join the best game creators in the world, enter the 26th Annual Webby Awards. New categories for Best Social Gaming Experience, Social Impact, and more. The Final Entry Deadline is on Friday, December 17th!
The Webby Podcast Industry Index is part of our larger Webby Industry Index Series that showcases the companies who have made the highest caliber of work across their respective industries. Read the full series to see this year’s best Agencies, Brands, Media Companies, Podcast Companies, Production Companies and Tech Companies.