FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Droga5, McCann New York, R/GA, and Wieden+Kennedy Among Top Agencies to Score Webby Award Wins This Year
NEW YORK, April 25, 2017 – The International Academy of Digital Arts & Sciences (IADAS) today announced the Winners of the 21st Annual Webby Awards, with BBDO New York taking home the top honor of “Webby Agency of the Year.” With six Webby Award and Webby People’s Voice Awards, including for Sandy Hook Promise – Evan, GE – Unimpossible Films, and Bacardi – Incognito Tickets, BBDO New York earned more Webby Awards and nominations across all categories than any other agency this year.
Hosted by critically acclaimed comedian and actor Joel McHale, this year’s star-studded ceremony in New York will celebrate the most innovative, inspiring, and entertaining work on the Internet. The show will be available on demand at webbyawards.com the morning of Tuesday, May 16, featuring all the show highlights and hallmark 5-Word Speeches from the night’s big Winners.
McCann New York (6 Webby Awards and 4 Webby Nominations), Droga5 (5 Webby Awards and 4 Webby Nominations), R/GA (3 Webby Awards and 4 Webby Nominations), and Wieden+Kennedy (2 Webby Awards and 7 Webby Nominations), and were all in close contention for Webby Agency of the Year, with standout campaigns like The Field Trip to Mars (McCann New York), Through the Dark (R/GA), Don’t Smell Yourself Short (Wieden+Kennedy), and Game Changer (Droga5) recognized this year.
“Whether through humorous, inspiring, or sobering messages and imagery, this year’s winning campaigns and branded content captivated Internet fans around the world,” said David-Michel Davies, Executive Director of The Webby Awards. “We’re honored to recognize the Webby Award-winning creative work this year that broke the mold by elevating controversial issues, asking provocative questions, and entertaining and inspiring the Internet community.”
IADAS members including Barton F. Graf’s Gerry Graf, Facebook’s Jill Applebaum, 72andSunny’s Glen Cole, Under Armour’s Attica Jaques, and Google’s Anna Patterson selected this year’s Webby Award Winners, while more than 3.5 million votes were cast by Internet fans in 235 countries and territories around the world to choose the Winners of the Webby People’s Voice Awards.
Highlights from this year’s winning campaigns include:
- Meet Graham by Clemenger BBDO Melbourne: Integrated Campaign (Advertising, Media & PR)
- Serena Williams’ Match Point by TBWAChiatDay LA: Mobile Advertising (Advertising, Media & PR), Best Use of Native Advertising (Advertising, Media & PR
- Girls of Paradise by McCann Paris: Best Cause-Related Campaign (Advertising, Media & PR), Public Service & Activist Websites (Advertising, Media & PR)
- Adios Amigo by Havas New York: Launch – PR (Advertising, Media & PR), Brand Strategy (Advertising, Media & PR)
- 25m2 Syria by POL: Best Cause Related Campaign – PR (Advertising, Media & PR)
- Deadpool Gets All the Likes by FOX Home Entertainment: Social Media Campaign (Advertising, Media & PR)
- Dove: Dear Media by Razorfish: Corporate Social Responsibility (Advertising, Media & PR)
- Don’t Smell Yourself Short by Wieden+Kennedy: Best Video Campaign (Advertising, Media & PR)
- We are America by R/GA: Best Influencer Endorsement (Advertising, Media & PR)
Highlights from this year’s winning Branded Content include:
- Under Armour Michael Phelps by Droga5: Viral (Branded)
- Sandy Hook Promise – Evan by BBDO New York: Viral Marketing (Advertising, Media & PR), Short Form – Branded (Film & Video)
- The Field Trip to Mars by McCann New York: VR, Gaming, Interactive, or Real-Time – Branded (Film & Video)
- The Lady Gaga + Intel Performance by Intel: Live Experiences – Branded (Film & Video)
- Nike “Margot + Lily” by RSA Films: Scripted – Branded (Film & Video)
- Greenpeace: A Journey to the Arctic by MediaMonks: VR: Cinematic or Pre-Rendered – Branded (Film & Video)
- GIPHY Keys to Success by GIPHY: Comedy – Branded (Film & Video)
- GE Unimpossible Films by BBDO New York: Series – Branded (Film & Video)
EY provides vote tabulation consulting for The Webby Awards. To view the full list of Advertising, Media and PR Winners, please visit http://webbyawards.com/winners.
About The Webby Awards:
Hailed as the “Internet’s highest honor” by The New York Times, The Webby Awards is the leading international awards organization honoring excellence on the Internet, including Websites, Film & Video, Advertising, Media & PR, Mobile Sites & Apps, Social, and Podcasts & Digital Audio. Established in 1996, The Webby Awards received 13,000 entries from all 50 states and 70 countries worldwide this year. The Webby Awards is presented by the International Academy of Digital Arts and Sciences (IADAS). Sponsors and Partners of The Webby Awards include: Google, Vitamin T, EY, YouTube, WP Engine, Billboard, Creativepool, Daily Pnut, Digiday, FITC, General Assembly, It’s Nice That, Mashable, Northside Festival, NUMA, Protein, RGD, Social Media Week, SoDA, Springwise, Sysomos, Taste Talks, The Hollywood Reporter, TubeFilter, WeRSM, WNYC.