FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
WIEDEN+KENNEDY WINS AGENCY OF THE YEAR AT THE 23RD ANNUAL WEBBY AWARDS
R/GA, TBWAMEDIA ARTS LAB, BBDO New York, and McCann New York Among Top Agencies to Score Webby Award Wins This Year
BBDO Worldwide Wins Webby Network of the Year
NEW YORK, April 23, 2019 – The International Academy of Digital Arts & Sciences (IADAS) today announced the Winners of The 23rd Annual Webby Awards, with Wieden+Kennedy taking home the top honor of “Webby Agency of the Year.” With six Webby Awards and seven Webby People’s Voice Awards, including for Colin Kaepernick’s “Dream Crazy” tweet, The Return of Colonel Sanders, and Dilly Dilly, Wieden+Kennedy earned more Webby Awards and nominations across all categories than any other agency this year.
BBDO New York (8 wins, 23 nominations), TBWAMedia Arts Lab (8 wins, 11 nominations, McCann New York (5 wins, 14 nominations), and R/GA (3 wins, 12 nominations), were all in close contention for Webby Agency of the Year, with standout campaigns like AT&T – It Can Wait – The Face of Distracted Driving (BBDO New York), The Most Vicious Cycle (McCann New York), Samsung x Fortnite: The Galaxy Skin (R/GA), and Apple Welcome Home (TBWAMedia Arts Lab).
“This year’s advertising Webby winners created campaigns that highlight some of the greatest challenges that our society faces today, and they used media and technology to do so in totally fresh, fun, and powerful ways,” said Claire Graves, Executive Director of the Webby Awards. “We’re thrilled to recognize their creativity and inspiration, and applaud them for bringing greater awareness to these causes.”
The Academy announced the first-ever Webby for Network of the Year. BBDO Worldwide took home the historic Webby Award, with the most pieces of celebrated work across all Webby categories. McCann Worldgroup and TBWA Worldwide were among those in close contention for Webby Network of the Year.
Hosted by actress and comedian Jenny Slate, The Webby Awards’ star-studded ceremony will take place in New York City on Monday, May 13, and will celebrate the best work on the Internet. Fans can follow and watch show highlights including a celebration of the 50th Anniversary of the Internet with Internet co-founder Vint Cerf, and hallmark 5-Word Speeches from the night’s big winners, on May 13th, at #Webbys on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook.
Academy judges including GE CMO Linda Boff, DDB Worldwide CEO Wendy Clark, 360i President Abbey Klaassen, Framestore CEO Sir William Sargent, The Martin Agency CEO Kristen Cavallo, JPMorgan Chase CMO Kristin Lemkau, Droga5 Founder and Creative Chairman David Droga, and The Martin Agency Co-President Colleen Decourcy select the Webby Winners each year.
Highlights from this year’s winning campaigns include:
- DREAM CRAZY by Wieden+Kennedy: Integrated Campaign (Advertising, Media & PR), Viral Marketing (Advertising, Media & PR), Best Viral PR Campaign (Advertising, Media & PR), Integrated Campaigns – Branded Entertainment (Video)
- @SeeLikeMenna by Saatchi & Saatch Best Cause-Related Campaign (Advertising, Media & PR), Native Advertising (Social)
- Accessibility Mat by GTB Brazil Experimental and Innovation (Apps & Mobile Features)
- The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel Carnegie Deli Pop-Up by Tool Best Launch – PR (Advertising, Media & PR)
- #ExcuseMe by McCann NY Best Cause Related Campaign – PR (Advertising, Media & PR)
- Bacardi – Live Moves by BBDO New York Social Media Campaign (Advertising, Media & PR)
- Photo Exhibition “Brain Drool 2018” by HAKUHODO Inc. for Art (Websites)
- Dundee: The Son of a Legend Returns Home by Droga5: Travel Social Content Series and Campaigns (Social), Integrated Campaigns (Video)
- The Whopper Detour by FCB New York: Brand Strategy (Advertising, Media & PR), Digital Campaigns (Advertising, Media & PR), Best Use of Mobile Media (Advertising, Media & PR)
- Viva la Vulva by AMVBBDO Health, Wellness, Pharmaceutical Branded Content (Advertising, Media & PR), Best Art Direction (Video)
- The Most Interesting Job Interview by Cummins & Partners Best User Experience (Websites)
- The Uncensored Playlist by MediaMonks Public Service and Activism Branded Content (Advertising, Media & PR)
- Minecraft Coral Crafters by 215 McCann Corporate Social Responsibility (Advertising, Media & PR)
- Exclusive the Rainbow by DDB Best Video Campaign (Advertising, Media & PR), Best Use of Earned Media (Advertising, Media & PR)
- Taco Bell’s Web of Fries by Deutsch Branded Entertainment Short Form (Video)
EY provides vote tabulation consulting for The Webby Awards. To view the full list of Advertising, Media & PR Winners, please visit http://webbyawards.com/winners.
About The Webby Awards:
Hailed as the “Internet’s highest honor” by The New York Times, The Webby Awards is the leading international awards organization honoring excellence on the Internet, including Websites, Video, Advertising, Media & PR, Apps, Mobile, and Voice, Social, Podcasts, and Games. Established in 1996, this year’s Webby Awards received nearly 13,000 entries from all 50 states and 70 countries worldwide. The Webby Awards is presented by the International Academy of Digital Arts and Sciences (IADAS). Sponsors and Partners of The Webby Awards include: Instagram, WP Engine, EY, YouGov, Vitamin T, YouTube, WNYC Studios, Fast Company, ESA, Product Hunt, and Social Media Week.