Webby for Good is a collaborative program formed by The Webby Awards and WP Engine to showcase Webby-recognized projects built to change the world.
Built in 1949, The Hospital for Sick Children (SickKids) was falling apart and in desperate need of a $1.3 billion dollar overhaul. Such a monumentally daunting goal required us to rally the entire city of Toronto behind it. To dramatize the critical need, and get the city emotionally invested in a building, we created a gritty two-minute digital showing that if the patients could build it themselves, they would. The film featured real SickKids patients tearing apart their own homes and neighborhoods, salvaging materials to build the new hospital by any means necessary.
We are the agency of record for The SickKids Foundation and were tasked with creating this campaign. But more importantly, this cause is near and dear to our hearts as we are both parents of young children, and have many friends whose lives have been touched (and saved) by the incredible doctors, nurses, and researchers who work at the hospital.
By far the biggest concern we had was in pulling off the production of the film itself. We had to manage 250+ real SickKids patients and their siblings, running through the scrapyards, and the streets of Toronto. For many shots, we needed 10+ Assistant Directors to manage the sheer number of kids. Since we were working with real patients and not actors we had to take extra special care with those kids with physical limitations (wheelchairs, crutches, IV poles, brittle-bone syndrome) to make sure no one was injured and everyone was having fun.
It was definitely rewarding to know that our creative contributed to a record-breaking fundraising campaign and had a tangible impact on the future for these kids. But even more rewarding were the messages and notes from parents mentioning how much it meant for their child to be a part of the film. For many kids, their self-esteem was instantly boosted in realizing how important they were to the advertising campaign, and additionally once they saw how heroic they appeared in the film.
We were beyond thrilled with the impact our creative had. This film (and the rest of the integrated campaign) helped increase online donations by 21% and contribute to raising a record-breaking $102 million dollars towards building the new hospital.
See More Webby for Good Projects
- Online Video + Campaign SickKids VS - All In
- SickKids VS - MomStrong
- Piano Banff
- Global Chief Creative Officer Carlos Moreno Cossette
- Global Chief Creative Officer Peter Ignazi Cossette
- Creative Director/CW Craig McIntosh Cossette
- Creative Director/CW Sarah Rutherford Cossette
- Creative Director/AD Jaimes Zentil Cossette
- Creative Director/AD Mario Cesareo Cossette
- Designer Oleg Portnoy Cossette
- Agency Producer Dena Thompson Cossette
- Account Coordinator Maggie Kent Cossette
- Account Executive Hillary Gonzalez Cossette
- Account Supervisor Shane Deen Cossette
- Account Director Daniel Dolan Cossette
- Group Account Director Melissa Levenberg Cossette
- VP, Brand Director Michelle Perez Cossette
- Chief Strategy Officer Jason Chaney Cossette
- Production House/Editing House Skin and Bones Film Company
- Director Mark Zibert
- Director James Michael Chiang
- DOP Rico Moran
- DOP Chris Mabley
- Executive Producer Dan Ford
- Executive Producer Liane Thomas
- Line Producer Rita Popielak
- Line Producer Jeff Schwartz
- Editor Marka Rankovic
- Editor Warren Goodwin
- Animation/Transfer/Online Facility a52
- Flame Artist Jesse Monsour
- Colourist Paul Yacono
- Online Facility The Vanity
- Photographer Sandy Pereira
- Photography Studio JKReps
- Music Licensing Francois Lachance
- Song Lionel Bart "I'd Do Anything"
- Song Dan Romer "Once There Was a Hushpuppy"
- Song Benh Zeitlin "Once There Was a Hushpuppy"
- Audio House SNDWRX
- Music Creative Director Didier Tovel
- Graffiti Muralist Mitchell Lanecki Omen514
- Senior Retoucher Trevor Gauthier
- Senior Production Artist Shireen Kok
- Studio Director Raquel Mullen
- Print Producer Dawn-Marie Mills
- Media Company OMD
- Clients SickKids Foundation
About the Brand Strategy category
Online advertising campaigns with a clearly executed and insightful brand strategy.