EXPLORE EACH COUNTRY
Since 1997, The Webby Awards has been recognized as the premiere international honor for Internet excellence. Annually, The Webby Awards reviews work entered from over 70 countries. While Europe and Australia over-index in the competition, Japan, Russia and Qatar are growing markets, with a number of high-caliber projects entered into The Webby Awards. As such, we know firsthand that the most innovative digital work is being made by teams around the world, from tech companies building new products for a connected world, to creative teams that have merged new technologies with compelling storytelling and strategic thinking. It has become abundantly clear that the future of the Internet belongs to teams who are pushing the bounds of their imaginations and digital technologies to inspire, connect and improve the world.
The top companies featured in our 2021 Webby International Index represent the teams that are doing just that.
HOW IT WORKS: Our index showcases which countries—outside of the United States—produced the most Webby-recognized projects across all categories in the 25th Annual Webby Awards. It also highlights the top-performing companies in each respective country, accompanied with insights about the work and industries they represent. *Countries are listed with the highest-performing countries, and representative companies, top to bottom. Webby Wins are weighed more heavily in calculations.*
- The Netherlands represents the most awarded market outside of the US, followed by The United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, Sweden and Denmark.
- While Europe, North America, and Australia over-index in the competition, Japan, Russia and Qatar did really well this year, with a number of high-caliber projects entered into The Webby Awards.
- Across the international index, the majority of high-performing work was produced by digital agencies, production companies and studios.
Best of The Netherlands
BY THE NUMBERS
- The Netherlands was the top performing market in the 25th Annual Webby Awards, with 31.2% of entered work from the country receiving recognition in the competition. A reminder: Only 15% of all entered work in The Webby Awards is honored.
- The majority of recognized projects were produced by Dutch creative agencies, digital production companies and studios.
- Dutch agencies like 72andSunny Amsterdam, similar to Swedish and Danish agencies, often perform across Craft categories in The Webby Awards.
- Dutch companies honored in the index are making work with new technologies, including Studio Regale, MediaMonks, and Superheroes.
BEHIND THE RANKS
1. MediaMonks Netherlands
The digital production company describes themselves as The Webbys’ production partner of the year meets hundreds of ex-Google data experts. Last year, MediaMonks led the competition in The Netherlands with digital experiences that engage avid fans and focus on social good, like with The Queen and The Crown and Frontier Development Lab projects. View the work below.
- DARK – 2021 Winner, Best User Experience
- The Uncensored Library – 2021 Winner, Public Service, Activism and Social Impact, Nominee, Public Service & Activism in Virtual & Remote, Honoree, Best Cause Related Campaign
- The Queen and The Crown – 2021 People’s Voice Winner, Fashion, Beauty & Lifestyle
- Frontier Development Lab: Solving NASA’s Toughest Challenges with Google Cloud × Intel – 2021 Nominee, Scripted, and Nominee, Best Use of Animation or Motion Graphics
- Air Jordan: XXXV Unveil – 2021 Nominee, Augmented Reality, Honoree, Best Use of Animation or Motion Graphics
- MC20 Microsite – 2021 Nominee, Car Sites & Car Culture
- Project Stand Red: Bob Paisley – 2021 Honoree, Sports in Apps & Software
- LiveXP Platform – 2021 Honoree, Event Management
2. Dept Amsterdam
Dept is a full-service digital agency. Its Amsterdam headquarters performed well in the competition, with recognition across its multiple capabilities, namely concept and design, media strategy, immersive experiences and more. View the honored work below.
- Transforming van Gogh Museum – 2021 Winner & People’s Voice Winner, Cultural Institutions
- SteelSeries: Achieving Double-digit Growth by Embracing a Full-funnel Media Strategy – 2021 People’s Voice Winner, Best Growth Strategy
- GANNI – Crafting a Digital Showroom in 6 Weeks – 2021 People’s Voice Winner, Fashion & Retail in Virtual & Remote
- Together Virtually for the Food Bank – 2021 People’s Voice Winner, Brand or Partner Experience in Virtual & Remote
- Crafting the Perfect Christmas Campaign – 2021 Honoree, Integrated Campaign
3. 72andSunny Amsterdam
72andSunny is a full-service advertising and design company. They believe that “unignorable” creativity is the most powerful force of business in an attention economy. Last year, their Amsterdam team performed well in our craft categories across Video and Advertising. View the honored work below.
- Coca-Cola – Open Like Never Before – 2021 Winner, Best Writing, and Short Form Video, Nominee, Best Video Editing
- Fanta – In the Name of Play – 2021 Nominee, Best Copywriting
SuperHeroes is a digitally born and raised global ad agency that is saving the world from boring advertising. Living up to their name, their honored projects leverage social media platforms and live video to produce attention-grabbing experiences.
- The TikTok Sitcom – 2021 Winner & People’s Voice Winner, Scripted
- Fire Up 2021 – 2021 People’s Voice Winner, Live Experiences
5. GRRR (Two-Way Tie)
GRRR is an agency for meaningful matters. They believe that the world can be cleaner, more inclusive and more honest. Their honored project focused on the climate crisis. See the work below.
- The Ocean Cleanup – 2021 Winner & People’s Voice Winner, Sustainability & Environment Websites
5. Studio Regale
Studio Regale is an independent creative studio that combines context-driven design with an agnostic approach to technology to produce memorable experiences and regale audiences. They provide digital concept, strategy and production to help clients tackle challenges across new media landscapes. Last year, they were honored for their high-quality and immersive website.
- Aesop presents: Three Aromatique Candles & Other Stories – 2021 Winner & People’s Voice Winner, Corporate Communications
Best of The United Kingdom
BY THE NUMBERS
- During the 25th Annual Webby Awards, nearly 25% of work entered from The United Kingdom received recognition in the competition. A reminder: Only 15% of all entered work in The Webby Awards is honored.
- The work honored from the United Kingdom represents a breadth of industries, including mobile apps, software and product, advertising, and podcasting.
BEHIND THE RANKS
1. iCandi Apps Ltd.
Indie studio iCandi Apps Ltd is passionate about designing and producing magical apps and products that enable you to interpret the universe in a whole new way. Its popular astronomy app performs well every year at The Webby Awards. View the honored work below.
- Night Sky – 2021 Winner & People’s Voice Winner, Best Use of Augmented Reality, Winner, Technical Achievement, and People’s Voice Winner, Best User Interface
Zendesk is a service-first CRM company that builds software designed to improve customer relationships. Last year, their in-house creative focused on creating high-quality, branded editorial content. View the honored work below.
- Thank You Machine – 2021 Winner & People’s Voice Winner, Best Mobile User Interface, and Nominee, Best Art Direction
- Stories About Helpful People – 2021 Nominee, Best Branded Editorial Experience, and Corporate Social Responsibility
- Golden Age Karate – 2021 Honoree, Branded Documentary
3. AMV BBDO (Three-Way Tie)
AMV BBDO is an agency where creativity and effectiveness come together. They were honored last year for their animated campaign to destigmatize women’s health. View the honored work below.
- #wombstories – 2021 Winner, Animation in Video, and Best Use of Animation or Motion Graphics in Advertising, Nominee, Video Ad Longform, and Nominee, Short Form Video
3. Dope Black
What started as a Whatsapp group of 23 fathers grew into a social led community organization designed to improve the outcomes of black people globally through education and therapy. One of the groups they serve are Black fathers and expecting fathers, with their award-winning podcast. See the honored work below.
- Dope Black Dads Podcast – 2021 Winner & People’s Voice Winner, Family & Kids
3. Hi Mum! Said Dad
Hi Mum! Said Dad is a digital product and innovation consultancy based in Hoxton, London. They’re known for creating impact through UI, UX and tech products. They were honored for their audio-based choose-your-own-adventure game. See their honored work below.
- Sherlock Holmes: The Great Game – 2021 Winner & People’s Voice Winner, Best Voice Skill / Application
Best of Australia
BY THE NUMBERS
- During the 25th Annual Webby Awards, 15.8% of work entered from Australia received recognition in the competition. A reminder: Only 15% of all entered work in The Webby Awards is honored.
- Australia’s digital agencies continue to outperform larger markets with creative work spanning integrated campaigns, websites, and more.
- Last year, Carter Digital led the competition with two wins for its experience marketing and website for the Australian Grand Prix.
- Other Australian agencies, including Josephmark and The Monkeys focused on providing creative solutions for at-home audiences to care for themselves.
- Josephmark is the only company featured in the International Index to have earned recognition in our inaugural Software Service & Platforms categories.
BEHIND THE RANKS
1. Carter Digital
As one of Australia’s largest independent experience design agencies, its team focuses on finding solutions to transform the way customers interact with businesses in a rapidly changing world. View the honored work below.
- Formula 1® Australian Grand Prix – 2021 Winner & People’s Voice Winner, Sports in Websites
2. The Monkeys
A creative agency based in Sydney, Australia, The Monkeys create provocative ideas that live within advertising, entertainment and technology. Last year, they rallied their efforts to help seniors suffering from isolation and young people struggling to cook for themselves. View the honored work below.
- Share the Secret Recipe – 2021 Winner, Food & Drink
- NRL Still Simply The Best – 2021 Nominee, Best Music Supervision, and Honoree, Best Launch
3. Josephmark (Two-Way Tie)
Josephmark is a global venture studio that specializes in design. They believe that their legacy will be work that drives genuine value and inspires massive change. Last year they were honored for their products and virtual experience to promote sexual health. See the honored work below.
- Wheel of Foreplay – 2021 Winner, Health & Wellness, Virtual & Remote
- Klyk – 2021 Nominee, Event Management in Software Services & Platforms
The independent Australian agency has extensive experience in the worlds of research and data, strategy and creative execution. Their recognized work leveraged machine learning to help conservation practices for local bees. View the honored work below.
- The Purple Hive Project – 2021 People’s Voice Winner, Machine Learning and Bots, and Nominee, Experimental & Innovation
4. Digitas Australia
Digitas Australia is a connected marketing agency. They blend creative, data, media, strategy, and technology to uncover and act on the truths that help brands better connect with people. View the honored work below.
- Tourism Australia — Australia.com – 2021 Winner, Travel in Websites
- Live From Aus – 2021 Honoree, Real-Time Response and Best Use of Social Media
Best of Canada
BY THE NUMBERS
- During the 25th Annual Webby Awards, 22.5% of work entered from Canada received recognition during the competition. A reminder: Only 15% of all entered work in The Webby Awards is honored.
- From the work that is recognized by our Academy we can see that Canada has an exceptional video and film production industry. Work entered in the 25th Annual Webby Awards reflected their industries’ growing desire for interactive and immersive video.
- Felix and Paul studios created a really great immersive experience that won in two of our inaugural virtual & remote categories
BEHIND THE RANKS
1. National Film Board
The NFB is Canada’s public producer and distributor. They have a growing collection of works that include creative documentaries, animation, interactive stories and participatory experiences. Honors in last year’s Webby Awards represent their diverse portfolio of work, including interactive and experimental films.
- The Book of Distance – 2021 Winner, Best Narrative Experience in Virtual & Remote
- Yesterday, Today, Tomorrow – 2021 People’s Voice Winner, NetArt
- Parliament: The Virtual Experience – 2021 Honoree, Best 360-Video in Virtual & Remote
- 60 Day Cycle – 2021 Honoree, Documentary: Shortform
- Perfumed Dreaming – 2021 Honoree, Art & Experimental, Culture & Lifestyle, and Documentary: Shortform
- First Photo Here – 2021 Honoree, Diversity & Inclusion
2. Felix & Paul Studios
They are an award-winning creator of immersive and entertainment experiences, creating unparalleled, highly engaging and inspired virtual reality, augmented reality and mixed reality experiences for audiences worldwide. Last year, they doubled down on their capability to create a four-part series filmed in space. See the honored work below.
- Space Explorers: The ISS Experience, Episode 1 – 2021 Winner, Science & Education in Virtual & Remote, and People’s Voice Winner, Best VR Video in Virtual & Remote
3. Sinking Ship Entertainment (Three-Way Tie)
Sinking Ship Entertainment is a globally renowned and industry leading Production, Distribution, VFX and Interactive studio specializing in children’s and family content. See their honored series, which was born during the early days of the pandemic.
- Lockdown – 2021 Winner, Science & Education
3. Sid Lee
Sid Lee is a multidisciplinary global creative agency of brand builders recognized for designing culture-driven communications and experiences. Their Toronto team was honored last year for their in-game activation to inspire civic participation.
- Build the Vote – 2021 People’s Voice Winner, Online Guerrilla & Innovation
3. Bombardier Recreational Products (BRP)
As the only brand to make the International Index, the Canadian manufacturer specializes in snowmobiles, all-terrain vehicles, motorcycles and personal watercraft. They were honored for their snowmobile navigation app.
- BRP GO! – 2021 People’s Voice Winner, Connected Products & Wearables
Best of Russia
- During the 25th Annual Webby Awards, nearly 19% of work entered from Russia received recognition in the competition. A reminder: Only 15% of all entered work in The Webby Awards is honored.
- Russia’s high-performing work continues to reflect teams’ use of emerging technologies to confront pressing societal issues and educate the masses on critical moments inRussian history.
BEHIND THE RANKS
1. RT Creative Lab
As an award-winning digital in-house team, RT Creative Lab believes in the power of good stories. Their team’s mission is to experiment with digital storytelling formats, to innovate in approaching complex historical subjects for younger people to inspire them to learn. Their honors in last year’s Webby Awards represent their use of social and new technologies to tell important stories. See the honored work below.
- The Endless Letter on Instagram Stories – 2021 Winner, Best Use of Stories, Nominee, Education & Discovery and Culture & Lifestyle in Social
- #VictoryPages: Social Media History – 2021 Nominee, Education & Discovery in Social, 2021 Honoree, Best Media Strategy
- War: Kids Drawings in VR Animation – 2021 Honoree, Science & Education and Best Narrative Experience in Virtual & Remote
Gigarama is a creativity laboratory made up of like minds who once were carried away by the idea of telling stories with all sorts of web and multimedia technologies. They work with interactive techniques including photogrammetry, video 360, FPV-drone shooting, and many others. See their honored work below, dedicated to the beautification of Moscow and more.
- Sing, My District – 2021 People’s Voice Winner, Best Use of Video or Moving Image
- Made in the Taiga – 2021 Honoree, Best Branded Editorial Experience
3. Mozga Studio
Mozga Studio is a creative agency and production company. They produce commercials and films to make the world a better place, through the creation of unique products that push the boundaries of the possible and achieve the most ambitious goals. See their honored project below.
- Disappearing Stories – 2021 People’s Voice Winner, Best Use of Social Media in Advertising
4. Moscow International Biennale for Young Art
MIBYA is a large-scale project and contemporary visual art exhibition that focuses on the work of artists and curators under the age of 35. It aims to bring together new artistic initiatives from Russia and the world by supporting the creative development of young artists for interested audiences. Last year, it won the People’s Voice Award for its digital exhibition of emerging artists and writers that confronts the absurd, dissociation and estrangement through a sociopolitical lens.
- I Don’t Know Whether the Earth is Spinning or Not… – 2021 People’s Voice Winner, Architecture, Art & Design in Websites
5. BBDO Moscow
Founded in 1989, BBDO Moscow is one of the top agencies in the BBDO Worldwide network. Their expertise covers communication strategies and creative concepts development, and executions for all communication channels and consumer touchpoints (both online and offline). See their honored work below.
- Birds Records – 2021 Nominee, Best Use of Earned Media, and Best Original Music
- Open Source Pizza – 2021 Nominee, Online Guerilla & Innovation
Best of Sweden
BY THE NUMBERS
- During the 25th Annual Webby Awards, 21% of all work entered from Sweden received recognition in the competition. A reminder: Only 15% of all entered work in The Webby Awards is honored.
- Creative agencies continue to represent the majority of Sweden’s high-performing work, and continue to outperform larger markets.
- This year, projects included experimental websites, event activations that targeted cultural moments, and executions that incorporate humor.
- Resolution Games represents the only game creator to be featured in this year’s International Index, for Angry Birds VR: Isle of Pigs.
BEHIND THE RANKS
Born in the digital age, Animal is a creative agency that builds strategies and tells stories together with the brands that are shaping our future. Last year, they were honored for designing Spotify’s employment website. View the honored work below.
- Life at Spotify – 2021 Winner & People’s Voice Winner, Employment
2. Nord DDB
The advertising and marketing network’s Scandinavian office has one goal: Breaking brands into pop culture by being open to fresh perspectives, different personalities, collaboration, cultural change, new tech and new thinking. They were honored last year for their clever activation and branded content. View the honored work below.
- VAR Discount – 2021 Winner, Media & Entertainment, and Nominee, Best Event Activation
- McDo – 2021 Nominee, Branded Content
A creative, strategic and digital innovation agency in Gothenburg, Sweden, Stendahls, don’t really see themselves as an ad agency – their business is innovation. When the pandemic hit, they turned to a virtual experience when the pandemic cancelled the Göteborg Film Festival. View the honored work below.
- The Isolated Cinema – 2021 Nominee, Best Event Activation, and Real-Time Response Campaign
Founded in 2018, Plan8 designs music and sound for brands, products, films and experiences. They operate in the intersection of audio, emerging technologies, advertising and art. Their projects are fusing design and music. View the honored work below.
- JazzKeys – 2021 Nominee, Weird in Websites
5. Resolution Games
Resolution Games is a games studio based in Stockholm and led by some of the top minds in the industry, forging a world-class catalog of titles that brings players into the richest VR and AR worlds possible. They are the only games company to make this year’s International Index, with their VR games. View the honored work below.
- Angry Birds VR: Isle of Pigs – 2021 Nominee, Technical Achievement
Best of Denmark
BY THE NUMBERS
- While Denmark is one of the smallest market ranked in the index, 27% of work entered from the country received recognition during the 25th Annual Webby Awards. A reminder: Only 15% of all entered work in The Webby Awards is honored.
- In 2021 digital agencies continue to drive the success of Danish companies that participate in The Webby Awards.
- Among the top-performing work from Denmark, many projects included website builds for brands, as well as art and education institutions.
- Additionally, Hjaltelin Stahl demonstrated their robust strategy capabilities, with projects like The Big Danish Bacon Pre-Roll.
BEHIND THE RANKS
1. 1508 A/S
1508 A/S is a strategic design company that creates digital experiences, lovable brands and sustainable businesses. Last year they were recognized for a high-quality website build for a Danish art institution. View the honored work below.
- SMK Open – 2021 Winner, Best Navigation/Structure 2021, and Honoree, Cultural Institutions
2. Space10 | Dept Copenhagen (Two-Way Tie)
SPACE10 is a research and design lab on a mission to create a better everyday life for people and the planet. Their recognized project explores how emerging technologies are impacting the way we live. View the honored work below.
- Everyday Experiments – 2021 Winner, Lifestyle
2. Dept Copenhagen
The full-service digital agency’s Copenhagen office was recognized in the 25th Annual Webby Awards for designing a Scandinavian furniture retailer’s website. View the honored work below.
- Muuto – A Digital Transformation – 2021 People’s Voice Winner, Shopping
3. Hello Monday
Hello Monday is a creative studio in Copenhagen, Aarhus and New York that handcrafts digital (and magical) products, brands, and experiences. They were also honored for high-caliber website builts for art and education institutions. View the honored work below.
- SDU – Future Education Campaign – 2021 Nominee, Best Navigation/Structure, and School/University
- Wongle.xyz – 2021 Honoree, Technical Achievement
- Bartlett – Summer Show 2020 – 2021 Nominee, Architecture, Art & Design
- Virgin Hyperloop – 2021 Nominee, Corporate Communications
4. Hjaltelin Stahl
Hjaltelin Stahl is a Danish creative agency that creates unique and consistent cross-media experiences for its clients. Last year, their work centered on bringing to life their strong strategy capability. View the honored work below.
- Black Friday Re(Sale) – 2021 Nominee, Corporate Social Responsibility Campaign, and Digital Campaign
- The Big Danish Bacon Pre-Roll – 2021 Nominee, Best Use of Online Media
5. Yellow Umwelt
They are a premium agency based in Copenhagen that is recognized for their conceptual and digital skillset. Their project The Biggest Change received recognition across our technical categories for websites. View the honored work below.
- The Biggest Change – 2021 Nominee Best Mobile User Experience, Best Mobile User Interface, and Best Use of Video or Moving Image
To join the world’s best teams creating digital work, enter the 26th Annual Webby Awards. New categories include Best Social Commerce/Shopping Campaign, Series in Virtual & Remote, Best Installation or Experience, Email Newsletters, Best Creator, Best Content Series, and more.
The Final Entry Deadline is Friday, December 17th! Enter now!