Over nearly two years, it has meant even more for us to recognize the best companies making moving images. As production companies continue to shift their offerings to accommodate remote production, new technologies and distribution methods that are inherently more remote, they are paving the way for the future of video.
Take a look at the 5 companies featured in our 3rd Annual Webby Production Industry Index. Our index showcases the 5 production companies with the most Webby-recognized projects across all categories in the 25th Annual Webby Awards (2021). In addition, we’ve highlighted a few pieces of work by each of the featured companies.
HOW IT WORKS: To start, we analyzed which industries over indexed in the 25th Annual Webby Awards. We then ranked which companies produced the highest-performing projects. *Companies are listed with the highest-performing projects top to bottom. Webby Wins are weighed more heavily in calculations.*
The 2021 Production Industry Index
BY THE NUMBERS
- This year, MediaMonks led the competition with 3 wins, 6 nominations and 4 honors, with many wins in technical categories, including Augmented Reality, Best User Experience and Best Use of Animation.
- Work entered by production companies reflect creative teams’ ingenuity to accommodate remote productions due to a halt on in-person filming. This was shown in The Mill’s honors for its animated and immersive projects, Tool’s pivot to virtual solutions for experience marketing, and Park Pictures’ animated film about incarceration during the pandemic.
- The pandemic ushered in the rise of virtual experiences produced by brands and individuals alike. Today, the creative community is rethinking how to offer people accessible, equitable and inclusive experiences from anywhere in the world, with digital production companies leading the way.
BEHIND THE RANKS
The digital production company describes themselves as The Webbys’ production partner of the year meets hundreds of ex-Google data experts. They blend skills across content, data and digital media. In 2020 and 2021, MediaMonks focused on building campaigns and digital experiences that engage avid fans and focus on social good, as seen with The Uncensored Library and Frontier Development Lab projects. View the work below.
- DARK – 2021 Winner, Best User Experience
- The Uncensored Library – 2021 Winner, Public Service, Activism and Social Impact, Nominee, Public Service & Activism in Virtual & Remote, Honoree, Best Cause Related Campaign
- The Queen and The Crown – 2021 People’s Voice Winner, Fashion, Beauty & Lifestyle
- Air Jordan: XXXV Unveil – 2021 Nominee, Augmented Reality, Honoree, Best Use of Animation or Motion Graphics
- Frontier Development Lab: Solving NASA’s Toughest Challenges with Google Cloud × Intel – 2021 Nominee, Scripted
- Frontier Development Lab: Solving NASA’s Toughest Challenges with Google Cloud × Intel – 2021 Nominee, Best Use of Animation or Motion Graphics
- MC20 Microsite – 2021 Nominee, Car Sites & Car Culture
- LiveXP Platform – 2021 Honoree, Event Management
Tool is a creative production partner that concepts, creates and executes award-winning advertising and marketing for the world’s bravest brands and advertising agencies. Last year, Tool pivoted to make its experience marketing offerings available virtually. View the work below.
- Undercover Lyft with Alicia Keys – 2021 Winner, Unscripted, Nominee, Short Form
- HBO Max – The Flight Attendant – 2021 People’s Voice Winner, Experience Marketing
- (Re)Introducing Jake – 2021 People’s Voice Winner, Brand Strategy
- VOICE Talks Presented by Google Assistant – 2021 People’s Voice Winner, Technology in Virtual & Remote
- Bubba Wallace – Progress Owes No Apology – 2021 Nominee, Branded Content
3. m ss ng p eces
m ss ng p eces is a new wave production and entertainment partner for content and immersive experiences that inspire culture. Last year, they were honored for purpose-driven campaigns that showcase resilient portraits of Black love, and inform audiences of the hateful history behind local monuments. View the work below.
- Invisible Hate – 2021 Winner, Public Service & Activism, People’s Voice Winner, Best Cause Related Campaign
- Black Love Is… – 2021 Nominee, Diversity & Inclusion
4. The Mill
As a global creative partner for agencies, production companies and brands, The Mill works across all media and creative technology platforms, including visual effects, creative production and experience design. During the 25th Annual Webby Awards, their honored work utilized animation, remote production and immersive experiences to remedy the halt on in-person productions. View the work below.
- Lovecraft Country – Sanctum – 2021 Winner, Best VR Video in Virtual & Remote
- Dua Lipa ‘Hallucinate’ – 2021 People’s Voice Winner, Animation, Nominee, Music Video
- Destiny 2: Beyond Light – Reveal Trailer – 2021 Nominee, Best Use of Animation or Motion Graphics
- Oreo ‘Trolls World Tour Augmented Reality Experience’ – 2021 Honoree, Augmented Reality
- Lovecraft Country – Sanctum – Janelle Monae Performance – 2021 Honoree, Music in Virtual & Remote
5. Park Pictures
Founded in 1998, the bicoastal and London-based production company has produced award-winning work for clients such as Apple, Nike, Google, Adidas and more for over 20 years. Park Pictures’ featured work is wide-ranging, touching on incarceration during the pandemic and human connection, as well as more commercial work. View the work below.
- Arc X Imagine Justice: We Matter Too – 2021 Winner, Public Service & Activism
- XFinity: A Holiday Reunion – 2021 Nominee, Games, Honoree, Long Form Video
- Temper – 2021 Honoree, Documentary: Longform
- Justin Bieber & Benny Blanco: Lonely – 2021 Honoree, Music Video
To join the best production companies in the world, enter the 26th Annual Webby Awards. New categories for Virtual & Remote Series, Best Installation or Experience, Best Real Time Experience, and more. The Final Entry Deadline is Friday, December 17th!
READ THE FULL SERIES
The Webby Podcast Industry Index is part of our larger Webby Industry Index Series that showcases the companies who have made the highest caliber of work across their respective industries. Read the full series to see this year’s best Agencies, Brands, Game Creators, Media Companies, Podcast Companies and Tech Companies.