To reflect the many innovations happening in emerging technologies, last year we introduced a new suite of Software Services and Platforms categories in The Webby Awards. This year, we are honoring the new technologies that have been created to keep teams connected and accommodate new ways of working. The tech companies honored at the 25th Annual Webby Awards represent teams who are shaping the nexus of technology and creativity.
Take a look at the companies featured in our 3rd Annual Webby Technology Industry Index. Our index showcases the tech and software companies with the most Webby-recognized projects across all categories in the 25th Annual Webby Awards (2021). In addition, we’ve highlighted a few pieces of work by each of the featured companies.
HOW IT WORKS: To start, we analyzed which industries over indexed in the 25th Annual Webby Awards. We then ranked which companies produced the highest-performing projects. *Companies are listed with the highest-performing projects top to bottom. Webby Wins are weighed more heavily in calculations.*
The 2021 Technology Industry Index
BY THE NUMBERS
- For the second consecutive year, Google leads the competition with 12 wins, 8 nominations and 13 honors across the competition.
- Intuit is the only software-focused company to make the index, receiving recognition for TurboTax and the Mint financial app.
- During the 25th Annual Webby Awards, we introduced new Software honors. Domo COVID-19 Tracker swept the Data Management category while Brightspot’s Content Business Platform beat out Amazon Web Services for best Marketing Automation software.
- We witnessed an uptick in software and technology being developed for social good, including Code of Conscience by AKQA, Look to Speak by Google, The Wake Up by Headspace, Vocable AAC by WillowTree, and more.
- Many smaller tech companies earned Webby Award wins during the 25th Annual Webby Awards, beating out bigger, more established brands.
BEHIND THE RANKS
As a multinational technology company that specializes in Internet-related services and products, Google is on a mission to organize the world’s information and make it universally accessible and useful. Ranked first in our Technology Industry Index, Google’s honored work reflects its commitment to building digital tools for social good. View the work below.
- Tribal Schools Embrace Distance Learning With Google Tools – 2021 Winner, Long Form Video, Nominee, Diversity & Inclusion in Video
- Infinite Bad Guy – 2021 Winner, Music, Nominee, Technical Achievement
- The A-Z of AI – 2021 Winner, Education, Honoree, Best Individual Editorial Feature – Ind/Brand/Org
- Look To Speak – 2021 Winner, Best User Interface
- Call Me Blood – 2021 Winner, Documentary
- Google Kids Space – 2021 People’s Voice Winner, Best Visual Design – Aesthetic
- Mapping Rainbows with Google My Maps – 2021 People’s Voice Winner, Unscripted
- Google Data Center Security: 6 Layers Deep – 2021 People’s Voice Winner, Technology
- Google — Year in Search 2020 – 2021 People’s Voice Winner, Best Use of Video or Moving Image, and Video Ad Longform, and Best Individual Editorial Feature
- Shared Piano – 2021 Nominee, Best User Interface, Honoree, Best User Experience
- Young Adults With Physical Disabilities Find Independence – 2021 Nominee, Corporate Social Responsibility
- Introducing Tone Transfer – 2021 Nominee, Music
- Tiquets Culture Festival – 2021 Nominee, Science & Education
- Project Guideline – 2021 Nominee, Experimental & Innovation
The Swedish audio streaming and media services provider is the world’s most popular audio streaming subscription provider, with 381 million users worldwide. Spotify was honored for the work its in-house podcast team and in-house creative studio produce, most notably 2020 Wrapped. View the work below.
- 2020 Wrapped – 2021 Winner & People’s Voice Winner, Integrated Mobile Experience, People’s Voice Winner, Best User of Data Driven Media, Viral Marketing, Best Branded Editorial Experience
- Jemele Hill is Unbothered – 2021 Winner, Best Host, Winner & People’s Voice Winner, Diversity & Inclusion
- Alone With Me – 2021 People’s Voice Winner, Music, Nominee, Best Use of Data Driven Media
- An Oral History of The Office – 2021 People’s Voice Winner, Entertainment, Honoree, Comedy
- Dare to Lead with Brené Brown – 2021 People’s Voice Winner, Business
- Wind of Change – 2021 People’s Voice Winner, Best Limited Series, People’s Voice Winner, Documentary in Limited Series & Specials
- Listening Together – 2021 Nominee, Media Streaming
- RapCaviar Day 1 Club – 2021 Nominee – Best Influencer Endorsements
- Dope Labs – 2021 Nominee, Arts & Culture, Nominee, Science & Education
- Dissect – 2021 Nominee, Music
- Play Your Part – 2021 Honoree, Best Media Strategy
- Painkiller: America’s Fentanyl Crisis – 2021 Honoree, Original Music Score / Best Sound Design
Apple Inc. is a multinational technology company that builds products to bring the best user experience to its customers through innovative hardware, software, and services. Their bespoke agency TBWA\Media Arts Lab earned multiple Webby Award wins across our social categories, as well as their podcasts. View the work below.
- Apple Arcade Homepage Takeover – 2021 Winner & People’s Voice Winner, Best Homepage
- @apple—Dark Universe Experiments – 2021 Winner, Best Editing, and Best Art Direction, Nominee, Technical Achievement
- iPhone 12 – 2021 People’s Voice Winner – Best Visual Design
- iPad Air – 2021 People’s Voice Winner – Best Use of Animation or Motion Graphics
- Oprah’s Book Club – 2021 Winner, Arts & Culture, Nominee, Best Host
- @apple—At Home Series – 2021 Nominee, Best Photography & Design
- @apple—Everyday Experiments – 2021 Nominee, Best Editing, and How-To & DIY in Social, Honoree, How-To, Explainer & DIY
- Beastie Boys Story // Reddit AMA – 2021 Nominee, Television & Film in Social
- Fireball: Visitors From Darker Worlds Trailer – 2021 Nominee, Trailer
- The Snoopy Show Teaser Trailer – 2021 Honoree, Trailer
- Billie Eilish: The World’s A Little Blurry Tease – 2021 Honoree, Video Ad Shortform
- What The Golf? – 2021 Honoree, Video Ad Shortform
Netflix is a subscription-based streaming service that allows members to watch TV shows and movies on an internet-connected device. Their mission is to entertain the world, and stream more than 30 languages across 190 countries. Their work honored during the 25th Annual Webby Awards reflects its continued shift to use editorial to tell a complete story of its original programming, across social and podcasts. View the work below.
- Father of the Bride Part 3ish – 2021 Winner, Television & Film in Social, People’s Voice Winner, Best Editing
- Strong Black Legends – 2021 Winner, Television & Film in Podcasts
- Netflix Film Club – 2021 Nominee, Television & Film Series & Campaigns, Honoree, Arts & Entertainment
- Netflix TikTok – 2021 Nominee, Best Overall Social Presence
- Behind The Scenes: The Umbrella Academy – 2021 Nominee, Entertainment
- The Crown: The Official Podcast – 2021 Nominee, Entertainment
- Know It All – 2021 Nominee, Television & Film
- Deon Cole: Workin’ It Out – 2021 Nominee, Comedy: Longform, Honoree, Best Individual Performance, and Best Writing
Intuit is a global technology platform that helps consumers and small businesses overcome their most important financial challenges. As the only software company to make the Technology Index, Intuit was honored for its staple financial service apps. View the work below.
- TurboTax Tax Return App – 2021 Nominee, Best User Interface, Honoree, Best User Experience
- Mint – Money Essentials All in One Place – 2021 Winner & People’s Voice Winner, Financial Services/Banking, Winner, Best Visual Design – Function, Nominee, Best User Experience
To join the best tech companies in the world, enter the 26th Annual Webby Awards. New categories for Best Use of AI & Machine Learning, Best OTT Service, Learning & Education, and Virtual & Remote Series. The Final Entry Deadline is on Friday, December 17th!
READ THE FULL SERIES
The Webby Podcast Industry Index is part of our larger Webby Industry Index Series that showcases the companies who have made the highest caliber of work across their respective industries. Read the full series to see this year’s best Agencies, Brands, Games Companies, Media Companies, Podcast Companies, and Production Companies.