FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Netflix, The Players’ Tribune, Love Has No Labels, Her Story, Spotify, NASA, Vice, Carpool Karaoke, Epic Rap Battles and VRSE Among Those Receiving Internet’s Highest Honor
Lena Dunham & Jenni Konner, Jessica Alba, #BlackLivesMatter and The Onion among those to be honored with Webby Special Achievement Awards
NEW YORK, April 26, 2016 – Netflix, Love Has No Labels, Tyler Oakley, 99% Invisible, First Lady Michelle Obama, Straight Outta and Carpool Karaoke are just some of the Webby Winners who will be recognized alongside Special Achievement honorees Lena Dunham & Jenni Konner, Jessica Alba, #BlackLivesMatter, Making a Murderer and The Onion at The 20th Annual Webby Awards, organizers announced today.
Academy judges including Reddit co-founder Alexis Ohanian, Instagram’s Eva Chen, Questlove, Internet inventor Vint Cerf and Susan P. Crawford selected this year’s Webby Award Winners, while more than 2 million votes were cast from Internet fans in 235 countries and territories around the world to choose the Winners of the Webby People’s Voice Awards.
Marking its 20th anniversary this year, the star-studded ceremony in New York will celebrate the year’s most innovative, inspiring and entertaining work on the Internet. The show will be available on demand at webbyawards.com the morning of Tuesday, May 17, featuring all the show highlights, including special performances and all the hallmark 5-Word Speeches from the night’s big Winners.
Organizers also announced a set of outstanding individuals and breakout achievements that will be recognized with Webby Special Achievement Awards. Joining the ranks of Al Gore, Prince, Sir Tim Berners Lee and Björk are:
Webby Lifetime Achievement: The Onion Having earned a record 39 Webby Awards in the Humor category since the Webby’s inaugural year in 1997, The Onion will receive the Lifetime Achievement Award.
Webby Special Achievement: Lena Dunham & Jenni Konner The Girls creators will be honored for founding Lenny Letter, a weekly online feminist newsletter with nearly half a million subscribers.
Webby Entrepreneur of the Year: Jessica Alba the founder of The Honest Company will receive the first-ever Webby Award designation of Entrepreneur of the Year for her vision, entrepreneurial spirit and commitment to building a thriving $1 billion consumer goods empire.
Social Movement of the Year: #BlackLivesMatter founders Opal Tometi will accept on behalf of one of the most powerful international civil rights movements in history.
Film & Video Breakout of the Year Award: Making a Murderer creators Laura Ricciardi and Moira Demos will accept for their chilling and wildly popular Netflix documentary.
Entertainment highlights from the 20th Annual Webby Award Winners include:
- Jimmy Fallon won the Webby and People’s Voice Awards for Best Social Content and Marketing
- First Lady Michelle Obama won two Webby Awards in the Online Film & Video category for Funny or Die’s Billy on the Street with Big Bird, First Lady Michelle Obama and Elena and CollegeHumor’s Go to College Music Video with First Lady Michelle Obama
- Last Week Tonight with John Oliver won the Webby and People’s Voice Awards for Best Writing in Social
- Funny or Die won its fourth Webby for Dennis Quaid’s On-Set Freakout for Best Individual Short (Comedy)
- Tracy Morgan won the Webby Award for Best Scripted Branded Entertainment for R/GA’s online video Tracy Morgan in a Christmas Miracle
- The Weeknd won the Webby Award for Best Music Video for In the Night
- Tyler Oakley won the Webby Award for Best Web Personality
- Straight Outta won the Webby Award for Best Digital Campaign
- SNL 40 won the Webby Award for Best Events and Live Webcast and both the Webby and People’s Voice Awards in the Variety category for Online FIlm & Video for Saturday Night Live’s 40th anniversary special
- Game of Thrones won the Webby Award for Best Overall Social Presence
- Jimmy Kimmel Live! won the Webby and People’s Voice Awards a second year in a row for his YouTube Challenge I Told My Kids I Ate All Their Halloween Candy in the Viral category (Online Film & Video)
- Vanity Fair won a Webby Award for Call Me Caitlyn featuring Caitlyn Jenner in the Best Documentary category (Online Film & Video)
- Zoolander Returns to the Runway won three Webbys, including Best Live Experience in the Branded Entertainment category
- The 69th Annual Tony Awards won the Webby and People’s Voice Awards for Best Event in Social
- YouTube Music Awards won the Webby and People’s Voice Awards for Best Music Video Channel
- House of Cards – FU 2016 won the Webby and People’s Voice Awards for Best Integrated Campaign
Other highlights from the 20th Annual Webby Award Winners include:
- Google Cardboard’s Cardboard Crash VR won the Webby for Best Virtual Reality in Gaming, Interactive or Real-Time
- Tumblr won both the Webby and People’s Voice Awards for Social Website
- Pocket won both the Webby and People’s Voice Awards for Best Productivity App
- HBO NOW won the Webby and People’s Voice Awards for Best Streaming Video App
- Neymar Jr. won the People’s Voice Award for Best Sports Website
- Orchestra VR won the Webby and People’s Voice Awards for Best Virtual Reality: Cinematic or Prerecorded
- The Intercept won the People’s Voice Award for Best News Website
- Mapquest won the Webby for Best Humor in the Social Content and Marketing category for #AvoidTrump
- Tinder won the Webby for Best User Experience in the Mobile Sites and Apps category
- British Vogue won the Webby and People’s Voice Awards for Best Fashion & Beauty Video (Online Film & Video) for The Future of Fashion with Alexa Chung
- NASA won both the Webby and People’s Voice Awards for Best Government & Civil Innovation Website
- The Love Has No Labels campaign won both the Webby and People’s Voice Awards for Best Integrated Campaign
Winners of multiple Webby Awards include:
- Spotify (13) Brand Strategy (Advertising), Best Visual Design – Aesthetic (Websites), Best Streaming Audio (Websites), Best User Interface (Advertising), Best Customer Service (Social), Digital Campaigns (Advertising), Media & Entertainment (Advertising), Music (Websites), Short Form (Online Film & Video)
- VICE Media (13) Cultural Blog/Website (Websites), Fashion & Beauty (Online Film & Video), Fashion & Beauty (Websites), Lifestyle (Websites), Music (Online Film & Video), News & Politics: Individual Episode (Online Film & Video), Technology (Online Film & Video), Science & Education (Online Film & Video),
- National Geographic (10) Best Home/Welcome Page (Websites), Green (Websites), Best Use of Photography (Websites), Best Visual Design – Aesthetic (Websites), Best Visual Design – Function (Mobile & Apps), Documentary: Individual Episode (Online Film & Video), Education & Discovery (Social), Best Home/Welcome Page (Advertising), Youth (Websites), Travel (Websites)
- The New York Times (8) Best Individual Editorial Experience (Websites), Best News (Websites), Best Use of Photography (Websites), Email Newsletters (Websites), Experimental & Innovation (Mobile & Apps), News (Websites), News & Information (Social), Food & Drink (Mobile & Apps)
- TED (7) Best Practices (Websites), Media Streaming (Websites), Education (Websites), Events (Mobile Sites & Apps), Events & Live Webcasts (Online Film & Video)
- Google (6) Music (Websites), Best Navigation/Structure (Websites), Best Visual Design – Function (Websites), Consumer Electronics (Websites), Best Art Direction (Advertising & Media), Best Practices (Mobile Sites & Apps)
- HBO (6) Best Writing (Social), Best Streaming Video (Mobile & Apps), Media Streaming (Websites), Best Overall Social Presence (Social)
- The National Film Board of Canada (6) Best Use of Interactive Video (Online Film & Video), Virtual Reality: Gaming, Interactive, or Real-time (Online Film & Video), Net Art (Websites)
Deloitte provides vote tabulation consulting for The Webby Awards. For media credential information, please visit: http://webbyawards.com/press-requests/
About the Webby Awards:
Hailed as the “Internet’s highest honor” by The New York Times, The Webby Awards is the leading international award honoring excellence on the Internet, including Websites, Advertising & Media, Online Film & Video, Mobile Sites & Apps and Social. Established in 1996, The Webby Awards received nearly 13,000 entries from all 50 states and over 70 countries worldwide this year. The Webby Awards is presented by the International Academy of Digital Arts and Sciences (IADAS). Sponsors and Partners of The Webby Awards include: Xfinity, Google, Verizon, Vitamin T, YouTube, MediaMonks, Adformatie, Advertising Age, Code and Theory, Cool Hunting, Creativepool, Digiday, FITC, Internet Week New York, It’s Nice That, Mashable, Mobile Marketing Association, Moleskine, Ninja Marketing, Northside Festival, NUMA, Social Media Week, SoDA, Springwise, Taste Talks, The Drum, The Guardian News Media, The Hollywood Reporter, Tube Filter and VentureBeat.