26th ANNUAL WEBBY NOMINEES ANNOUNCED
Voting for People’s Voice Awards Kicks Off Today at http://vote.webbyawards.com
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Sunshine Sachs Morgan & Lylis
NEW YORK, April 5, 2022 – The International Academy of Digital Arts & Sciences (IADAS) today announced the Nominees for the 26th Annual Webby Awards, which include Apple TV+, Gucci, HBO Max, Google, NASA, Netflix, Patagonia, Smartless, Square, Twitch, The 1619 Project, David Zwirner’s PLATFORM: and the Washington Post, as well as some of the year’s most talked-about personalities, including Ariana Grande, Billie Eilish, Jimmy Kimmel, Jimmy Fallon, Jon Stewart, Laverne Cox, Lilly Singh, Megan Thee Stalion, Anthony Anderson, LeVar Burton, Questlove, Cynthia Erivo, Janelle Monaé, and Lena Waithe.
All Nominees are eligible to win the Internet industry’s two most prestigious awards: The Webby Award, selected by the Academy, and The Webby People’s Voice Award, voted on by the online community around the world at http://vote.webbyawards.com. Voting for The Webby People’s Voice Awards is open now until Thursday, April 21, at 11:59 pm PT.
“The Webby Awards has been honoring the very best in digital innovation and creativity for 26 years,” said Claire Graves, President of The Webby Awards. “This year’s Nominees represent more than innovation. They are the coolest, most creative, most shared, watched, listened to, most breathtaking, moving and talked about work on the Internet. We’re so proud to recognize them today.”
Webby Nominees are selected by the International Academy of Digital Arts and Sciences. Members include Arlan Hamilton, Founder and Managing Partner, Backstage Capital; Ziwe Fumudoh, Comedian & Writer; Quinta Brunson, Writer, Director and Actor; Felecia Hatcher, CEO, Black Ambition, Sridhar Ramaswamy; Co-Founder & CEO, Neeva; Bob Greenberg, Chairman & CEO, R/GA; Kerstin Emhoff, Co-Founder & CEO, PRETTYBIRD; Dan Pfeiffer, Co-Host, Pod Save America; and Paulo Cunha, President, SeatGeek.
This year saw an increased acceleration of virtual engagement with brands and companies experimenting with activations in the Metaverse, as well as in hybrid, virtual and in-person experiences. Webby Nominees across categories recognizing this work include Gucci Garden Archetypes, Flight Of Voices: 360° Live Concert VR Experience, Sneaker 0, Nike – For Every Body, EffectNode Metaverse, and Connecting Kylie Minogue to Fans with Augmented Reality by Meta.
The growth in consumer demand for great storytelling was demonstrated with a 40% increase in Podcast submissions this year. Webby Nominees in Podcasts range the breadth of genres from comedy to crime, sport and spirituality, food, work, entrepreneurship, diversity and inclusion, and technology including: SmartLess, Pivot, Storytime with Seth Rogan, Song Exploder, On Purpose with Jay Shetty, We Can Do Hard Things, The Problem With Jon Stewart, Office Ladies, and LOUD.
In a year full of high-profile true crime, justice and stories of grifting coming into public discourse, podcasts have played an important role in recounting these narratives to audiences worldwide. Crime & Justice podcast Nominees include: The Dropout, Scam Goddess, To Live and Die in LA, Where The Bodies Are Buried, Norco 80, Anatomy of Murder – NYC’s Only Homicide on 9/11, Over My Dead Body: Fox Lake, Criminal and Cold.
Media and streaming companies continue to reimagine storytelling in innovative ways across Social, Video, Branded Content, Podcasts, and more. Nominees include: Apple TV+, Axios, CNN, Complex, Hulu, National Geographic, Netflix, HBO Max, PBS, Paramount, Spotify, Amazon Prime Video. Media organizations in contention for Webby Media Company of the Year, an honor presented to the media company that performs best across all Webby Awards categories, are National Geographic (19) HBO (18), CNN (14), MTV (12), The Washington Post (12), Wondery (10), BBC (9), Vox Media (8), and Paramount (7).
The Webby Awards had another record-breaking year for submissions in 2022 with more than 14,000 entries from 50 states and 70 countries worldwide. From the tens of thousands of global entries submitted, fewer than 12% were selected as Nominees. The organizations earning the highest number of nominations this year include Netflix (26), Apple (19), National Geographic (19), HBO (18), CNN (14), Amazon (13), MTV (12), The Washington Post (12), Wondery (10), Spotify (9), Vox Media (8), Amazon Music (7), Meta (7), Electronic Arts (7), and Paramount (7).
Winners for the 26th Annual Webby Awards will be announced on Tuesday, April 26, 2022, and they will be celebrated at a star-studded in-person award show on Monday, May 16, 2022 at Cipriani Wall Street. Fans will be able to watch special moments, and hallmark 5-Word Speeches from all the Winners, starting at 7:00 pm ET at www.webbyawards.com and with #Webbys on Instagram and Twitter.
KMPG provides vote tabulation consulting for The Webby Awards. For a complete list of Nominees and to vote for the People’s Voice Awards, visit http://vote.webbyawards.com.
About The Webby Awards:
Hailed as the “Internet’s highest honor” by The New York Times, The Webby Awards is the leading international awards organization honoring excellence on the Internet, including Websites and Mobile Sites; Video; Advertising, Media and PR; Apps & Software, Social; Podcasts; Games and Virtual & Remote. Established in 1996, The Webby Awards received more than 14,300 entries from all 50 states and 70 countries worldwide this year. The Webby Awards are presented by the International Academy of Digital Arts and Sciences (IADAS). Sponsors and Partners of The Webby Awards include Verizon, WP Engine, Canva, Omidyar Network, YouGov, NAACP, KPMG, Fast Company, Wall Street Journal, MediaPost, Podcast Movement, TheFutureParty and AIGA.
Find The Webby Awards Online:
Linkedin: The Webby Awards
26th ANNUAL WEBBY NOMINEE HIGHLIGHTS:
Media & Entertainment, Branded Entertainment (Video)
- Saturday Night Live’s Stories from the Show – Saturday Night Live
- Cherry “Breathe” – Apple TV+
- Oculus Quest 2 – Billie Eilish x Beat Saber – Good Company
- Black Art is Black Money – Blacktag
- Netflix The Harder They Fall – ATTN:
News & Politics, Websites and Mobile Sites (Websites and Mobile Sites)
- PBS NewsHour 2020 Electoral College Map – PBS NewsHour
- CNN – CNN
- Frame – Frame
- Teal Media + Center for American progress – Teal Media
- Washington Post Live interview series – The Washington Post
Web Services & Applications, Websites and Mobile Sites (Websites and Mobile Sites)
- Uncomfortable Truth Plug-In – TAXI
- Webex – BASIC® / Dept
- Canva Video Suite – Canva
- GIPHY – GIPHY
- Bezzy, Chronic Condition Communities – Healthline Media
Diversity & Inclusion, Social Content Series & Campaigns (Social)
- Inclusion Takes Root at Netflix – Netflix
- Nike FM Broadcast – Wieden+Kennedy
- Reebok, The Power of Spoken Rights – 160over90
- Save It, See It – Michelob ULTRA
- HBO Max: See Us – HBO
Technology, General (Virtual & Remote)
- Joytopia – Jung von Matt AG
- YouTube Brandcast 2021 – 1stAveMachine
- Shibuya Virtual Halloween – Geometry Ogilvy Japan
- Spacewalk from the ISS – Meta
- Whiteboard Owl – Owl Labs
Fashion & Lifestyle, Branded Entertainment (Video)
- Wè – PANGAIA x NOWNESS – NOWNESS
- Savage x Fenty – Amazon Studios
- Zara Home “AW21 Campaign” – Modern Post
- A Night At The Museum – nss factory
- Summit Ascent Service – Black Dog Films
Business & Finance, General (Virtual & Remote)
- Planning a New Kind of Event on Hopin – Hopin
- Fidelity International’s Sustainable World Summit – Fidelity International
- Black Entrepreneurs Day – Medium Rare
- Salesforce National Black Business Month Block Party – Salesforce
- Spotify Stream On – Spotify
Music Video, General Video (Video)
- George Harrison ‘Isn’t It a Pity (Take 27)’ – Assembly
- Megan Thee Stallion “Thot Shit” – Left
- Vogue Italia – Put It On Your Face – Cut+Run
- X Ambassadors – My Own Monster – Good Company
- Sonho – Stink Films SP
Fashion & Beauty, General Websites and Mobile Sites (Websites and Mobile Sites)
- Flowers For Society Brand Website – ASTRAL Kreativ GmbH
- Carolina Herrera’s Digital Ecosystem – B-Reel
- Grazia USA – EMG
- GUCCI Flora Gorgeous Gardenia – Gucci
- r.e.m. beauty by Ariana Grande – Pattern
Comedy, General Video (Video)
- The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon – Broadway’s Back – The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon
- Dick Van Dyke Tribute – CharityBids
- The Pitch – Niccolo Montanari
- Protest Photography – Studio 181
- Without a Recipe – SechelPR