The Webby Awards - Opportunities
One of the joys of working at The Webby Awards is having a unique view into all the deep and delightful bits of the Internet and its culture. See our recent collaboration with Wieden & Kennedy for an example of how silly, sincere, and broad that view can be. We are looking for a freelance editor to help us tell the most interesting and profound bits of this culture on our site, WebbyAwards.com, in long form, with video, audio, computer games, or whatever other form of media can help bring the story to life. We want to tell big, long, interesting stories about how the Internet is being made and impacting all our lives.
The Freelance Senior Editor will assign, edit, and manage 12 stories a year: six long-form pieces with accompanying media, and six shorter-form works (explainers, columns, photo journals, etc.). You’ll work with the senior Webby team and your cadre of smart writers to source ideas and make sure they fit the initiative. You’ll assign the best ones, provide your writers great editing and support, and make sure they get done on time and on budget. And finally, you’ll work with various facets of The Webbys – PR, Marketing, etc. – to make sure we bring as much exposure and promotion to the great stories you shepherd to the site throughout the year.
- Ability to source and edit six big stories (5k words) and six smaller stories (500-1k words) about the Internet and its culture
- You work well as an independent leader and have a great and proven track record working in a freelance capacity
- You are an excellent line editor and are well regarded in writing circles
- You are into the deep, gory, and beautiful bits of how the Internet is made and its impact on all of us
- You have 7-10 years of experience editing long-form editorial
BELOW ARE SOME STORIES WE LOVED AND THAT HAVE HAVE INSPIRED THIS PROJECT:
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested? Send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org